Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Yeah I Had A Heart Attack, So?

When I think of a heart attack, I generally imagine someone struggling for help, well... struggling just to stay alive really. For the most part I see a similar, though less funny resemblance to what Fred Sanford would to on Sanford and Son. But recently an Italian neurosurgeon gave me great hope that if ever I had a heart attack I would be able to get myself help. In Naples, Italy, Dr. Claudio Vitale was removing a brain tumor when he began to suffer from chest pains half way through the surgery. Soon the pain worsened and he realized he was having a heart attack. When the doctor realized that if he were to stop at that point in the surgery the patient would not survive, he finished the surgery before seeking medical attention for himself.
I think what this doctor did was great. I know that I would rather have a guy operating on me while he is having a heart attack then just leave me to become brain dead. I just feel sorry for him because there is no doubt in my mind this guy will be reprimanded to some extent. I'm sure at some point he will get called into an administers office where he will here how reckless he was, and that had he messed up the hospital would be in a very compromised position. The fact is the guy did what he had to do. If I ever have to go into serious surgery I am trusting that doctor with my life , and I would like to think that he would protect it no matter what.
While I am on the topic of heart attacks, if you are interested in having one, it has just been made easier to get closer then ever. I would also like to add this fill of caloric extravagance is brought to you conveniently in one sitting. The Fifth Third Ballpark in Grand Rapids Michigan, home to minor league baseball's West Michigan Whitecaps, will be introducing a new hamburger to the menu for the up coming season. The hamburger will consist of five patties, five slices of cheese, a cup of chili, salsa, corn chips, and of course an 8-inch bun. The whole burger comes in at a whopping 4,800 Calories. The bright side to clogging your arteries is that if you finish one yourself in a single sitting, you are rewarded with a free T-shirt. The perks do not include coverage of medical bills of the heart attack that is sure to follow. Now the burger itself looks pretty good to me, but knowing that it has two and a half days worth of calories (and I'm sure plenty of carbs and cholesterol to go along with it), would turn me off the eating it.

Question of the Blog: a) How would you feel if you learned your doctor continued to operate on you while having a heart attck?
b) Would you ever try to eat a 4,800 calories burger alone?

Dr. Heart Attack:
http://tinyurl.com/d7juvz

Heart Attack Burger:
http://tinyurl.com/dcjdja

Fred Sanford Heart Attack Clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcDONoaFo94
The heart attack is closer to the end. Stick with it or just cut to the end to see it.

No comments: