Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gasoline + Lit Cigarette = ?

It has been a while since I last posted a blog, about a week I think. Quite a bit has happened over the last week, at least more then usual it seems. Last Thursday I made it through my first academic presentation, which went much better then I expected. I was most nervous about taking questions about my research. When I am talking about what I have done there are no surprises and I know what to say, but I have no way of knowing what someone will ask me. I was especially nervous about taking questions due to the fact that the two faculty members I work closest with were both there asking me their own questions. And now that the Student Scholar Days presentation is done, have to hustle to get my RMPA (Rocky Mountain Psychological Association) presentation done. I wish there was more time between presentations, but I am glad the RMPA conference is soon. I have to say that I feel very fortunate to be able present my own original research to not only my peers and professors, but also to others in the field of psychology around the region. Since I am currently a Sophomore I hope I have this opportunity many more times in the next few years.
Since I am studying psychology, I also hope to understand why some people are as stupid as they are. If you read my blog then you know what I am talking about. Yet on a regular basis I still find stories of human stupidity that are nothing short of amazing. And I mean amazing in the sense that they just leave me thoughtless, not just speechless but thoughtless. To get to the point, a 47 year old man started his apartment on fire after cleaning it with gasoline. Of course the guy was smoking a cigarette as he was cleaning as well. Now I'm pretty sure this guy was trying to burn down the building. He stacked the gasoline soaked rags all together, then flicked his cigarette on the pile. After the fire started, instead of pulling a fire alarm he simply yelled fire and walked to the police department. The 47 year old was quoted as saying "he wasn't thinking". It seems pretty clear to me that this was intentional, but I think that even if this were accidental I just wouldn't want to believe a person could be that stupid.

Question of the blog: Do you think he could have possibly started the fire by accident?

Arsonist:
http://tinyurl.com/cycz2s

No comments: